retro rankings

A public board to discuss North Carolina high school and amateur wrestling.

Moderators: JRuthe, L. Lawson, DB

retro rankings

Postby westwrestler152 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 pm

Ive noticed that alot of kids have been gettin on there and complaining about not being ranked and so forth. The rankings are great but u must understand that they really dont mean anything. If u are a serious wrestler u would know that nothing matters till february. Not dissing the rankings and we all really appreciate them. But thats wats wrong with nc wrestling.. people need to start making names for themselves on the MAT instead of threw posts under the rankings.
westwrestler152
Board Newbie

Re: retro rankings

Postby mdmontague » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:58 am

You could not be more right
mdmontague

Postby Clay133 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:35 am

I disagree. Rankings generate interest in the sport. The discussions of who should be ranked are healthy discussions. The Retro rankings are a snapshot of where Will thinks things are now. Of course I, like everyone else have differences of opinion about certain weights. So what? It is true that the state tournament is what really counts but I like the thought of kids thinking they should be ranked higher. The thought that nothing matters until Feb. is crazy. The idea of kids wanting to be ranked is not what is wrong with wrestling in NC. In fact I would say the opposite is true. Sure you have to prove it on the mat but when a wrestler has a goal of being recognized in the rankings he can push and prepare more to achieve that. All athletic events have rankings and there are always flaws/arguments. Do you think the top wrestling states like Pa and NJ don't have rankings that people argue over endlessly? Of course they do. Medals are not given out by what you are ranked at mid-season but at the same time the matches that occur now do count otherwise why not just get 15 matches and go into regionals and then states?

Clay Reynolds
Arrichion Wrestling Club
Clay133
Bronze Medalist Member

Postby WWolfe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:38 am

I try to monitor the comments to keep them civil, I've actually removed several that I felt crossed the line.

Clay brings up a good point. The rankings can serve as motivation, and if nothing else they give a little bit of recognition for all the hard work they put in. That's the reason I do them. To give kids recognition.
365 and counting....

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you'll be successful.
WWolfe
Hall of Famer

Postby mdmontague » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:55 am

I love what is being done with the retro rankings, and I do agree that being ranked can show a kid that his hard work is paying off and motivate him to work harder. I do not believe though that a kid up on his computer late at night lobbying for himself to be moved up one spot in the rankings is good.
mdmontague

Postby born2train » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:05 pm

I think when it comes to the rankings you have to look outside the box. How does a coach from a DI program, or any College program, know about a kid from NC? Especially when they haven't had a chance to see the kid. The point I'm making, is that the rankings serves for other purposes,than just bragging rights. They're also used as a recruiting tool as well. State rankings are a great place to start, and start sending kids info out to there schools. And I think that would be the case in most states. Of course the actually mat time is the most important, along with their accomplishments, but the ranking help a lot as well. And especially the way our rankings are formatted. A lot of info there for the coaches! I know we must have picked up at least 2 or 3 offers, that started from what they saw on the rankings.JMO.
born2train
Bronze Medalist Member

Postby AverageJoe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:04 pm

I agree the rankings are probably good for the kid's morale, and this was tremendous undertaking, so thanks Wolfe. Okay, just one question for you. Why do you move some kids that have qualified at a lower weight class into a higher weight class in your rankings. I think you could safely assume that most kids that have certified at a lower weight class will probably wrestle that lower weight for states regardless of what they've been doing. Besides that NWCA stats site categorizes the kids at their lowest qualified weight so why don't you? Seems it might make your data mining and decision making easier anyway. Anything you can do to lessen the amount of subjectivity the better.
AverageJoe
Board Newbie

Postby WWolfe » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Most kids that have certified lower than they're wrestling will probably end up at their lower weight for the post-season, but some will end up at the weight where they've been wrestling. So to save myself the guessing game of "will they go lower or will they stay", I go with where they are wrestling the majority of their matches though I do tend to take it as a sign of things to come when someone certifies at a lower weight (for instance Cary's Matt Colvard) or starts wrestling more at their lower certified weight this time of year (for instance Parkland's Chris Rivas) and move them accordingly.
365 and counting....

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you'll be successful.
WWolfe
Hall of Famer

Postby CFK » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Kids, parents, or coaches should not be shy about stating their accomplishments throughout the season if they want to be listed in the rankings. Wolfe does a great job with the rankings, but he can't attend every dual or every individual tournament. The information passed along through the comments portion of the Retrorankings site can be very useful in helping adjust the rankings where needed. I think that having the comments available and visible to all is an improvement over the old rankings. Wolfe has been very good about explaining his logic in ranking kids.
CFK
Bronze Medalist Member

Postby Canbob » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 pm

I would agree that the rankings are beneficial. But the one thing I see missing here is the fact that the kids can see Who their competition is and could possibly mat up with them in states. Remember, it's the kids on the mat, and this gives them a tool to use to know their competitors better. And as a parent, I am going to a match this week to scout a player in the rankings I'm sure I'll see again. If we had no rankings, I wouldn't know who to be looking for.
Canbob
Board Newbie

Postby Advocare » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 pm

This will only help them to see where they need to work. Which in turn will make them better. Keep up the good work WWolfe.!!!!!!
Advocare

Postby BAF » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43 pm

WWolfe, I was wondering if the HS scorebook would be helpful in obtaining NCISAA results for those rankings? http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline/re ... lcome.aspx Thank you for including the NCISAA and for all the hard work you are putting into this effort. it's a great tool, interesting to read and analyze, and a nice recognition for the wrestlers who end up being ranked.
BAF

Postby WWolfe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:45 pm

I use the NWCA site, but a lot of the NCISAA teams don't update their results regularly on there.
365 and counting....

WWolfe
Hall of Famer

Return to Wrestling